Council's requirements for fences surrounding a property are intended to keep the style and size of front and side fencing compatible with the rest of the streetscape while still providing privacy and security.

For this reason fences ought to be designed with look, height, functionality and quality in mind. There are heights which cannot be exceeded, setback requirements, and appropriate measures to be taken in regards to conservation areas and views.

For exempt and complying development you will need to consult with the NSW Housing Code.

If you do not meet all the exempt or complying criteria for fencing then you need to consult the relevant part of the WDCP for your property's zoning and make application to Council. The WDCP is available online. For advice, call Council on 9777 1000 between 8.30am - 10am or 1pm - 4.30pm weekdays to speak to a Building Surveyor or Planner.

If it is a dividing fence you will need to consult the Dividing Fences Act. If there is a dispute over a dividing fence it is considered a civil matter and parties ought to seek advice from a Community Justice Centre, Local Lands Board, or the Local Court, not Willoughby Council.