• Park Elsie Wearn Park
  • Location Robert Street, Artarmon
  • Facilities

    Park benchPlay equipment

Named after Dr Elsie Okey (nee Wearn) (1904-1995), Artarmon’s first female dentist.  Elsie was a pioneer for women in dentistry, opening her practice in Hampden Road in 1945 and later moving to Wilkes Avenue until her retirement in 1974.  She was the first honorary dental surgeon at the Rachel Forster Hospital for Women and Children for 22 years, and also provided dental services to the Burnside Children’s Homes for 14 years. 

The land was originally part of Daniel Cann’s land grant of 25 acres which was subdivided for housing in 1904.  The land contained a weatherboard cottage which was constructed in 1913, and purchased by Council in 1972 to accommodate a new road.  The proposal for the road was abandoned, and a children’s playground was constructed in 1992.