Weekly Collection

‚ÄčCouncil empties each of the three household bins every week. 

Collection days for unit blocks with bulk garbage bins may differ, call Customer Service on 9777 1000 for more information.

Find your Collection Day

  •  Put your bin out on the nature strip the night before your collection day
  • Only bins issued by Council can be emptied
  • All waste must be placed inside the bins.  Items placed next to bins, including garbage bags, will not be collected
  • The lid must close property, overflowing bins won't be emptied.
  • Use the correct bin for the items you are disposing. 
  • Remove your empty bin from the nature strip as soon as practical
  • Bins will be collected on Public Holidays


Reporting Garbage Not Collected

Wait until the day after your usual collection day to report the issue. The truck could just be running late. Missed services for garbage, recycling or vegetation are usually actioned within 1 business day by Council's contractors.

Report the Issue Online

Report the Issue on a Mobile Device

Storing your bins

All your bins must be stored ON your property between collections, not on the footpath or street.

Bins left out on the street or footpath can create safety hazards and cause littering problems if they get knocked over. They are also more likely to be damaged, stolen or lost. 

Bin Colours

State laws now require that all garbage and recycling bins are the same through all NSW council areas. Willoughby City Council will be updating bin lids as they need replacing.

General waste - Red Lid

General waste - Red LidThis bin is for waste that can’t be composted or recycled through the other weekly services. Bins weighing more than sixty kilograms (60kg) cannot be emptied.

The following materials are not to be put in the general garbage bin:

  • Vegetation (put it in the vegetation bin with the green lid)
  • Ashes, either hot or cold
  • Liquids like paint, oil or chemicals
  • Building materials like concrete, bricks and sawdust
  • Large pieces of metal
  • Tree stumps
  • Excavated material such as soil, sand or stones.

Recycling Bin – Yellow Lid

Recycling Bin - Yellow LidThis bin is for recyclable items. Please rinse out all containers. Paper labels on jars and cans can stay; just no food bits please!

The following materials go in your recycling bin:

  • All disposable plastic containers from the kitchen, bathroom and laundry (leave lids on loosely so that air can escape when the containers are crushed)
  • Glass bottles and jars that are clear, brown or green (lids can be left on)
  • Aluminium cans
  • Steel cans
  • Milk cartons, Tetra Paks, and Poppers
  • Aerosal cans
  • Paper, newspapers, magazines
  • Cardboard

Don’t put in the following:

  • Plastic bags and plastic wrap
  • Window or mirror glass
  • Plastic toys
  • Crockery or porcelain (plates and mugs) 
  • Drinking glasses
  • Light bulbs
  • Pizza boxes (unless clean)
  • Meat trays
  • Foam or Styrofoam
  • Bubble wrap
  • Wax-coated fruit boxes
  • Paint tins

Vegetation Bin – Green Lid

Vegetation Bin - Green LidThis bin is for garden material only, as what goes in this bin is composted. Bins weighing over eighty kilograms (80kg) can’t be emptied.

The following items can go in the vegetation bin:

  • Grass cuttings (but put it in last or it is likely to stick to the bottom of your bin)
  • Leaves and twigs
  • Prunings
  • Weeds
  • Tree loppings (must be less than 50 mm in diameter and 400 mm in length)
  • Dead flowers

These items can’t go in the vegetation bin:

  • Plastic bags
  • Building timber
  • Tree stumps or loppings bigger than the above
  • Treated, painted or stained timber
  • Other general household waste
  • Fence posts

Weekly Service for Unit Blocks

Unit blocks within the Willoughby City Council area have a slightly different waste service to households.

  • Garbage bins are either red-lidded wheelie bins or can be bulk garbage bins (1100 litres or 1500 litres)
  • Some unit blocks have separate bins for paper and cardboard – these have blue lids (see below for acceptable items)
  • If there is not a blue-lidded bin in your apartment building, you can place all your paper and cardboard in your yellow-lidded recycling bin
  • Most unit blocks do not have the green-lidded vegetation bins. If you feel your building could use one, please contact council.